Niles library ready for summerPublished 5:49pm Sunday, June 17, 2012
Registration is open for “Math and Reading Camp @ Your Library.” This program offers activities that teach the skills needed to be successful first- and second-graders. It is a structured program taught by certified teachers. It will be held Mondays and Wednesday from 9 a.m. to noon June 25 through Aug. 15.
There is no fee; registration is limited to 30 students. For details, call the library at (269) 683-8545 ext. 106.
Niles District Library Summer Reading 2012 is under way. Calendars for the Read-to-Me, Independent Reader and Teen groups are available for pickup in the children’s department.
Even adults can participate in summer reading this year. Just pick up reading slips at the Information Desk, read a book (any genre, any format, fiction or non-fiction) and place your slip in the drop-box at the information desk, or fill it out on the library’s website. Each slip acts as a raffle ticket, so the more entries the better the chances are at winning one of two Olympic-sized Amazon gift cards or a Nook eReader.
- Storytime at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Wednesdays and 1:30 p.m. Thursdays. There will be a craft following each storytime.
- Movies for children are shown at 3:30 p.m. every Thursday through July in the storytime room.
- Stars and Moons: Science and art collide in this program at 3 p.m. July 10 for children ages 8 to 12.
- A pajama party is at 6 p.m. July 24 with songs, stories and games. All ages welcome.
- July teen movies will be shown at 5 p.m. each Thursday through July in the community room.
- Dead Man’s Party: This teen event is at 5 p.m. July 6 in the rotunda. Learn how to survive the zombie apocalypse, make dismembered gummy bears, pins and glow-in-the-dark jars. Enjoy a poetry slam and zombie games.
- “Batman” is a teen event at 3 p.m. July 17 in the rotunda. Make a Batman T-shirt and duct tape utility belt. Draw your own comic and enjoy a Riddle and Joke Fest and a scavengers’ hunt.
The Niles District Library is hiring for a temporary part-time position.
Tags: Niles District Library