Volunteer Southwest Michigan: Volunteer for Art Fair on the BluffPublished 8:46pm Monday, May 14, 2012
Spotlight of the week
When Krasl Art Center gears up for its Art Fair on the Bluff, you know summer is right around the corner. Sign up to get the volunteer duties of your choice on July 14-15. Everything from water sales to hospitality to helping in the children’s tent is available.
• Work on their boat, or on land at the Michigan Maritime Museum in South Haven. As a docent, interpret the museum and tall ship Good Will for students during May and for other visitors throughout the summer.
Good communication skills, enthusiasm and the ability to work independently are required.
• Join hundreds of girls on May 31 for a 5K Race to celebrate the work done at Firls on The Run and Girls on Track, sponsored by United Way of Southwest Michigan.
These programs help build self-esteem and promote healthy choices for girls in third through eighth grades. Do anything from registration to food.
• Make a difference in the life of a child by volunteering at the Boys and Girls Club in Benton Harbor. In the computer lab, assist with program instruction and activities while engaging engage children in interactive activities.
• As a clerical aide at the Berrien County Department of Human Services you will assist the staff and office manager with filing, copying, assisting clients with completing applications or sorting and delivering mail. You should be at least 18 years old, have good organization and communication skills, the ability to work with others and be able to follow directives and maintain confidentiality. An orientation and training will be provided.
American Red Cross of West Michigan
• Noon to 6 p.m. May 31: Hartford United Methodist Church, 425 East Main St., Hartford.
For a complete listing and to schedule an appointment, visit www.redcross.org.
• 3 to 7 p.m. May 31: Trinity Lutheran Church, Fellowship Hall, 1733 Glendora Rd., Buchanan
Adult, youth opportunities
Visit www.volunteerswmi.org to find a festival near you or contact the Volunteer Center. This is a great way to volunteer with a friend or with your family.
The Volunteer Southwest Michigan will be offering Youth Summer Serve 2012.
Volunteer for 40 hours over the summer and get official recognition. It looks great on job and college applications. Contact Callie today at email@example.com and find the summer volunteer position that fits your interests, your schedule and your transportation situation.
• The Community Garden movement continues to grow.
Contact Debra at the Volunteer Center to learn how your family can get involved.
In cooperation with Volunteer Southwest Michigan, we are pleased to publish opportunities for volunteers each week. To inquire about these opportunities or to make an appointment, call 983-0912 in the St. Joseph-Benton Harbor area, 683-5464 in the Niles area; visit www.volunteerswmi.org; or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org for further information. Appointments do not constitute an obligation to accept a volunteer opportunity. The center is a United Way agency affiliated with the HandsOn Network.