May at the COAPublished 12:10am Thursday, May 3, 2012
• May 2, 9, 16, 23 and 30, Wednesdays: Cribbage Club. Open to cribbage players of all skill levels, play begins at 1 p.m. on Wednesdays.
• May 3, Thursday: Medication Drop-off. Bring in unused, expired or unwanted medications for proper disposal from 10 a.m. to noon. Medications must be in their original, labeled containers and signed in when dropped off. Medications will not be accepted at any other time.
• May 3, 10, 17, 24 and 30, Thursdays: Dance Club. Dance to a variety of musical styles and enjoy the fellowship of friends. 9 a.m.
• May 4, 11, 18 and 25, Fridays: Knitting and Crocheting. The group is open to anyone who likes to knit or crochet, regardless of skill level. They share techniques, stories and fun while knitting items to donate to charity. 10 a.m. to noon.
• May 5, Saturday: Grand Opening of Front Street Crossing. A public open house and ribbon cutting to celebrate the opening of Front Street Crossing, the new COA location in Dowagiac. Open house 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.; ribbon-cutting is at noon.
• May 11, Friday: Mother’s Day Brunch. Mothers and special women are invited to enjoy brunch with friends, games and prizes. 9 to 10 a.m.
• May 14, Monday, and May 15, Tuesday: Brain Aerobics. “Fitness for your Mind” exercises the brain and stimulates neurons. This is a free class, but you must register due to space limitations. This class is open to everyone. 10 a.m. to noon. Same class is repeated on Tuesday at the Front Street Crossing in Dowagiac.
• May 14, Monday, and May 30, Wednesday: Computer Assistance. Friendly volunteers from the Cass District Library will help individuals with computer issues in our redesigned Information Center. Use our computers or bring your laptop. 1 to 3 p.m. May 9 and 10 a.m. to noon May 30.
• May 18, Friday: Book Club. The “Read and Share” will discuss selected “Snow Flower and the Secret Fan” by Lisa See. 1 p.m.
• May 21, Monday: Quilting Club. Use or develop quilting skills to make items for donation to groups in need. 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• May 30, Wednesday: National Senior Health and Fitness Day. Enjoy a variety of mini fitness classes, health information and more from 8 a.m. to noon at Front Street Crossing (227 S. Front St., Dowagiac). At 11:30 a.m., guest speaker Greg Otto from Borgess-Lee Rehabilitation Service will talk about exercise, balance and staying fit.