Quick action by a Niles Township firefighter Wednesday stopped a downtown fire from getting out of hand. Daily Star photo/CRAIG HAUPERT

Archived Story

Downtown fire stopped early

Published 3:44pm Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Quick action on the part of a Niles firefighter kept a small downtown fire from potentially getting out of hand.

An on-call Niles Township firefighter arrived at a vacant building at 111 N. Second St. shortly after the fire call at around 2:40 p.m. today. Using a fire extinguisher, the firefighter was able to put out the fire before it spread.

The fire was located at the front of the building and on the outside.

“I don’t think there were flames at that point, but it probably wouldn’t have been long before the flames would have taken off and we might’ve had a mess,” Niles City Fire Chief Larry Lamb said.

Lamb said the fire might have been caused by a discarded cigarette touching rotten wood behind a panel on the front of the building. Structure damage was minimal.

“We’ve had these before,” Lamb said.

Digital Imaging Consultants is written on the front door of the vacant building. One firefighter said it used to be an old auto shop.

“They used to call it the old bearcat building, but I don’t know the details behind that,” Lamb said.

The Niles Fire Department, Niles Township Fire Department and Niles Police Department responded.

A portion of Second Street between Main and Cedar streets was closed as fire crews worked.

By using this website’s user-contribution features, including comments, photo galleries, or any other feature, you agree to abide by the terms of use. Please read this agreement in its entirety because it contains useful information that will help you better understand the rules and general "good manners" that are expected when contributing content to this website.

Editor's Picks