Volunteer Center: Fernwood needs volunteer receptionistsPublished 8:54am Wednesday, March 7, 2012
Spotlight of the week
Become a member of the volunteer staff at Fernwood Botanical Garden in Niles. Receptionists welcome visitors and give directions, operate the cash register, answer the phone and register people for classes and programs.
• Tri-County Headstart has classrooms waiting for preschool assistants. Join them in working with 3- and 4-year-olds in reading, writing, science, math, gross and fine motor skills, outdoor activities and play. You can also prepare items for the classroom at home by cutting out and preparing materials for the teacher.
• Come to Berrien Springs High School where Afterschool Rocks! Volunteer tutors work with students in grades 9 -12 after school Monday through Thursday. Tutors should have the desire to work with and mentor teens and the ability to explain clearly and patiently.
• Berrien County Cancer Services provides free, skilled home nursing services, equipment, information and supplies at no cost for cancer patients and their families in Berrien County. The organization is in need of supplies for a blacktop sealant application to its parking lot and driveway in Stevensville.
Someone also is needed to apply it. This could be done during the week or on the weekend. Volunteers will receive a pizza lunch and popcorn.
• Harbor Habitat for Humanity needs volunteer partner family advocates to help selected families, with budgeting, filling out forms and paperwork, applying for colleges, typing resumes, etc.
• As a custodian for the Salvation Army in Niles, create a welcoming environment and maintain a functional building for Salvation Army program participants, volunteers and staff.
• The Heritage Museum and Cultural Center in St. Joseph needs a greeter in the museum store to greet visitors, offer information about the exhibits, make sales in the gift shop and perform small administrative tasks. The minimum commitment is one weekday per month.
Berrien County Chapter of the American Red Cross
• 8 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. Tuesday: Hartford High School, 115 A School St., Hartford
• noon to 5:45 p.m. Tuesday: Moose Lodge, 101 S. Redbud Trail, Buchanan
For a complete listing and to schedule an appointment visit www.berrienredcross.org.
• Noon to 4 p.m. March 14: Lake Michigan College – Bertrand Crossing, Student Center, 1905 Foundation Drive, Niles
• 8 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. March 15: Bridgman High School, Library, 9964 Gast Rd., Bridgman
For a complete listing visit www.miblood.org.
Youth and adults
• Whether you are an indoor person and help with fundraising or if you are an outdoor person who helps care for the horses, the Therapeutic Equestrian Center in Watervliet has a spot for you.
• The mission of the Ronald McDonald Family Room in South Bend is to provide a “home-away-from-home” for families of seriously ill children in Michiana-area medical facilities. Being a teen board member is an opportunity to get involved with a global charity at a local level by promoting their mission and raising funds.
•Greeters are needed at Lakeland Community Hospital in Niles to welcome guests to the hospital, assist in locating loved ones and guide them to their destination. Volunteers must complete an orientation, TB test and criminal background check.
•As an equipment sanitizer for the American Red Cross, you will help with the cleaning and sanitizing of CPR equipment. This “as needed – on call” position will depend on the scheduling of classes. Cleaning can be your way to help save someone from a heart attack.
Youth, adults and families
•Assist the Easter Bunny by holding a drive at your kids’ preschool, at your house of worship or in your neighborhood for project “Bunny Buddies.”
Contact the Volunteer Center to learn more about how to get involved.
• Spring is in the air. This can be a time to think of someone who might need help picking up the yard after winter. Maybe a neighbor could use help.