Volunteer Center: Blacktop sealant needed for center in StevensvillePublished 11:06pm Monday, February 27, 2012
Spotlight of the week
Here is a unique way to support the work of Berrien County Cancer Services, which provides free, skilled home nursing services, equipment, information and supplies at no cost for cancer patients and their families in Berrien County.
The center needs someone who could donate or deeply discount the supplies for a blacktop sealant application to the parking lot and driveway in Stevensville?
The center also needs someone to apply the sealant. Volunteers would receive a pizza lunch and popcorn.
• A major part of the work of Harbor Habitat for Humanity is advocating on behalf of those in the community in need of decent, affordable homes. Volunteer partner family advocates help families selected to receive Habitat Homes, with budgeting, filling out forms and paperwork, applying for colleges, typing resumes, etc.
•A custodian is needed by the Salvation Army in Niles to create a welcoming environment and maintain a functional building for Salvation Army program participants, volunteers and staff.
• As a greeter at the Heritage Museum and Cultural Center’s gift shop in St. Joseph, you will be the first person a visitor encounters.
Greet visitors, offer information about the exhibits, make sales in the gift shop and perform small administrative tasks. The minimum commitment is one day per month.
• On March 15, join hundreds of United Way of Southwest Michigan volunteers as part of a Reading Day of Action at schools throughout Berrien and Cass counties. Demonstrate the joy of reading by sitting down and reading to preschool and elementary school students. Stay for a few hours, an afternoon or a whole day.
• Help the gift shop at Lakeland Specialty Hospital in Berrien Center to expand its hours by being a gift shop clerk. Greet and socialize with customers and operate the cash register.
Orientation, TB test, flu vaccination and criminal background check required and provided by Lakeland. Other opportunities are also available including being an activity assistant.
• Make a difference in the life of a child by volunteering at the Boys and Girls Club in Benton Harbor.
As a computer lab assistant, assist in all aspects of program operations including but not limited to: setting up activities, providing instruction, assisting with computer lab activities, encouraging participation by all members and supervising children’s behavior.
Be a role model for the children and have fun engaging them in interactive and creative activities.
• Do you enjoy talking to people? The Krasl Art Center has the perfect opportunity for you. Volunteers sit at the reception desk and greet visitors, answer the phone and other small tasks. Shifts are available 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. or 1 to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• March 6: Lake Michigan Catholic, Main Room, 211 Wayne St., St. Joseph: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• March 7: Bridgman Public Library, 4460 Lake St., Bridgman: 1 to 5 p.m.
For a complete listing visit www.miblood.org
Berrien County Chapter of the American Red Cross
•March 6: Moose Lodge 697, 1025 Wells Street, South Haven: noon to 5:45 p.m.
•March 7: Harbert Community Church, 6344 Harbert Road, Sawyer: noon to 5:45 p.m.
For a complete listing and to schedule an appointment visit www.berrienredcross.org
Youth and adults
The American Red Cross needs an equipment sanitizer to clean CPR equipment. This “as needed – on call” position will depend on the scheduling of classes.
Cleaning can be a way to help save someone from a heart attack.
In cooperation with the Volunteer Center of Southwest Michigan, we are pleased to publish opportunities for volunteers each week. To find out about these or other volunteer opportunities, call 983-0912 in the St. Joseph-Benton Harbor area, 683-5464 in the Niles area; visit our website at www.volunteerswmi.org; or email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information. To arrange an appointment, call ahead. Appointments do not constitute an obligation to accept a volunteer opportunity. The center is a United Way agency affiliated with the HandsOn Network.