Fire empties Forest GlenPublished 10:53pm Monday, December 19, 2011
A small fire caused the evacuation of Forest Glen Assisted Living in one of two incidents Dowagiac Department of Public Safety Fire Rescue responded to early Saturday morning.
The first incident was an assist to the Indian Lake Volunteer Fire Department for a house fire on Forest Beach Road.
DFD provided manpower along with fire departments from Sister Lakes, Pokagon and Eau Claire.
The second call was the report of a fire at Forest Glen Assisted Living, 29601 Amerihost Drive.
Capt. Mike Mattix reported that when units arrived on scene, Forest Glen staff reported the smell of smoke coming from the mechanical room after the alarm sounded.
Firefighters found a small fire on the floor near the water heater. The fire was quickly extinguished while Forest Glen staff evacuated residents.
Cause of the fire is believed to be a malfunctioning water heater. No injuries to the residents of Forest Glen were reported.
Firefighters credit quick action by the Forest Glen staff in minimizing the effects of this incident.
Dowagiac firefighters were assisted on scene by the Dowagiac Police Department andWayne Township Fire Department.