This week I’ll continue with personal safety.
Last week, Michelle from Cassopolis asked about personal safety while walking. I want to emphasize that if there is a legitimate fear for your safety, such as a dog or person attack, self-defense may be used for yourself or others. This includes not only a self-defense spray, but walking sticks or umbrellas may be used reasonably.
July 1, 2001, Michigan became a “shall issue” state, meaning if a person applies for and meets qualifications, a concealed pistol permit shall be issued.
Applicants for a Michigan Concealed Pistol License must:
1. Be at least 21 years of age
2. Be a citizen of the United States or an alien lawfully admitted into the United States
3. Be a resident of the State of Michigan for at least 6 months prior to application. An applicant is a state resident if one of the following applies:
The applicant possesses a valid, lawfully obtained Michigan driver's license or state identification card
The applicant is lawfully registered to vote in Michigan.
The applicant is on active duty status with the United States Armed Forces and stationed outside of Michigan, but Michigan is the home of record.
The applicant is on active duty status with the United States Armed Forces and is permanently stationed in Michigan, but the home of record is another state.
Note: The six-month residency requirement may be waived by the concealed pistol licensing board for new residents licensed by another state.
4. Have successfully completed a pistol safety training course
5. Not be subject to any of the following:
An order requiring involuntary hospitalization or alternative treatment
An order finding legal incapacitation
A finding of not guilty by reason of insanity
6. Not be subject to a conditional bond release prohibiting purchase or possession of a firearm
7. Not be subject to a personal protection order
8. Not be prohibited from possessing, using, transporting, selling, purchasing, carrying, shipping, receiving or distributing a firearm under MCL 750.224f.
9. Have never been convicted of a felony in Michigan or elsewhere
10. Have no felony charge pending in Michigan or elsewhere
11. Have not been dishonorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces
12 and 13. Have not been convicted of certain misdemeanors in the three or eight years immediately preceding the date of application. These misdemeanors may be found on the Michigan State police website. 14. Have not been found guilty but mentally ill of any crime and has not offered a plea of not guilty of, or been acquitted of, any crime by reason of insanity
15. Have never been subject to an order of involuntary commitment in an inpatient or outpatient setting due to a mental illness
16. Not have a diagnosed mental illness at the time the application is made, regardless of whether he or she is receiving treatment
17. Not be under a court order of legal incapacity in this state or elsewhere
18. Not be detrimental to the safety of his or her self or any other person if issued a Concealed Pistol License
Next week I will continue with this topic, as it has been a popular question recently. I want to remind all that self-defense has to be of reasonable force for the threat. Please stay safe and alert of your surroundings.
E-mail Trooper Rob Herbstreith at trooper email@example.com.