House fire led to find of pot plantsPublished 7:33pm Sunday, July 25, 2010
By KATIE JOHNSON
Dowagiac Daily News
CASSOPOLIS — A man who fell asleep with a lit cigarette in his mouth and started his Dowagiac house on fire April 30 was sentenced in Cass County Court July 16 after firefighters found marijuana plants growing in his home.
Gordon Milbauer, 47, whose address is listed as Paw Paw, was sentenced on a deliver/manufacture marijuana charge to 18 months probation for growing at least 17 plants in a bedroom without a medical marijuana card.
His attorney said he was applying for one.
“Medical marijuana is not really what he needs to solve his medical problem,” Prosecutor Victor Fitz said, adding that Milbauer has been “breaking the law since (age) 15” by smoking pot.
Milbauer has two DUI misdemeanors on his record.