No legal action expected after Cassopolis home demolishedPublished 2:11pm Sunday, June 13, 2010
By AARON MUELLER
An abandoned home on North First Street in Cassopolis that had been on the block for demolition by the village has been leveled – unfortunately, it was not done legally.
According to Village Manager Kevin Gillette, Richard Taylor, the owner of the house at 118 North First St., had the residence demolished last Thursday without the necessary permits.
“The electric service was still attached to the house,” Gillette said. “The municipal water service has not been disconnected either. It was a pretty dangerous move.”
Gillette said he advised Taylor both verbally and in writing the necessary procedure for demolishing it himself, but he did not follow the instructions.
Now a large pile of rubble remains, and the village will hire a contractor to clean it up if Taylor does not do it himself by Monday.
“It’s an ugly mess right now and dangerous right now,” Gillette said.
Gillette said as of now he does not anticipate any legal action to be taken against Taylor.