Fernwood Nature Preserve to host busy weekend of eventsPublished 8:30am Thursday, April 29, 2010
By AARON MUELLER
Niles Daily Star
Jan Ferris, special projects manager at Fernwood Botanical Garden in Niles, is a little stressed out this week. It’s a busy weekend for her and the rest of the Fernwood staff.
Here is the rundown of what’s happening:
• Arbor Day Celebration: Join Fernwood staff members as they plant a tree on Arbor Day. Everyone who attends receives a free sapling. The event begins at 10 a.m. in the visitors center.
• Knee-high Naturalists: Children ages 4 and 5 will participate in Arbor Day activities, while exploring the woods and gardens of Fernwood, 1:30 to 3:30 p.m.
• Fernwood Railway Garden opens: The railway garden, which was designed by botanical architect Paul Busse, will feature two new buildings this season – a model of the St. Joseph North Pier lighthouse and the Notre Dame Golden Dome.
“There are four different levels of trains,” Ferris said. “So there is always action, always something going on. The kids love it.”
• Cemeteries as Public Gardens presentation: Ferris will give a talk on the history of cemeteries as public gardens from 1 to 2 p.m. at Fernwood.
“People don’t realize there are some really historic cemeteries that are members of the American Public Gardens Association,” Ferris said.
• Warblers at Warren Dunes: Wendy Jones, head naturalist at Fernwood, will conduct a warbler birding class at Warren Dunes State Park. Call Fernwood by Friday to register.
• Member mornings begin: Starting Saturday, members of Fernwood will be able to enjoy the gardens of Fernwood before it officially opens. The members-only benefit is available Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday morning throughout the green season.
• Summer hours begin: From May through October Fernwood will be open Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday from noon to 6.
• Spring photography workshop: Photographer Danny Burk will teach a two-day class Saturday and Sunday about photographing flowers and editing the photos on the computer. Call Fernwood for more information or to register.
• Buchanan Farmers’ Market: Fernwood staff members will be selling plants and goodies at the Buchanan Farmers’ Market this season, starting Saturday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
For more information on any event, call Fernwood at (269) 695-6491 or visit www.fernwoodbotanical.org.