Archived Story

Fire department responds to Taco Bell smoke scare

Published 9:00am Friday, March 19, 2010

By KATIE JOHNSON
Niles Daily Star

Firefighters responded to Taco Bell in Niles on Wednesday afternoon to the report of smoke seen after an electrical line was dropped.

Niles Fire Chief Larry Lamb said his fire department was dispatched at 4:14 p.m. to Taco Bell, 1298 South 11th St. after smoke was reported, although the exact source of the smoke was never confirmed.

A subcontractor had dropped an electrical line on a city line, causing a 7,200-volt surge, Lamb said. No fire or damage was reported.

Niles Utilities worked to get repair the city line. Niles Charter Township Fire Department and Southwestern Michigan Community Ambulance Service also responded to the call.

By using this website’s user-contribution features, including comments, photo galleries, or any other feature, you agree to abide by the terms of use. Please read this agreement in its entirety because it contains useful information that will help you better understand the rules and general "good manners" that are expected when contributing content to this website.

Editor's Picks