Archived Story

Grease source of Burger King fire

Published 10:40am Friday, January 8, 2010

By JESSICA SIEFF
Niles Daily Star

Firefighters battled a fire at Burger King in Niles at 2701 S. 11th St. just off the corner of Bertrand Thursday night, leaving employees of the fast food restaurant chain with a mess to clean up Friday morning.

At approximately 9:20 p.m., Don Hughes of the Niles City Fire Department reported that firefighters were called to the restaurant where they found a “slight haze” inside.

“Basically we got a call that they had a fire in the hood system of the broiler,” Hughes said.
Once inside, it was determined that grease inside the system had gotten too hot, catching fire.
Firefighters went to the roof of the restaurant to find that flames were visible coming through the vent.
The fire department worked on the fire for about an hour and a half, Hughes said but contained it inside the vent system.

“Anytime you deal with a fast food restaurant like this,” Hughes said, it’s very important that crews survey the surrounding areas to be sure the fire doesn’t catch anywhere else.

Hughes said employees would be busy cleaning up the mess this morning and the restaurant would have to work with the health department following the fire.

By using this website’s user-contribution features, including comments, photo galleries, or any other feature, you agree to abide by the terms of use. Please read this agreement in its entirety because it contains useful information that will help you better understand the rules and general "good manners" that are expected when contributing content to this website.

  • Niles forever

    Why were the Niles City Fire Department called to this Fire, happen in Niles Township?

Editor's Picks