Dowagiac bedeviled by Gull LakePublished 7:35pm Wednesday, September 16, 2009
By SCOTT NOVAK
Dowagiac Daily News
The Dowagiac varsity tennis team dropped an 8-0 decision to visiting Gull Lake in Wolverine Conference action on Thursday.
The Blue Devils dropped just three games in the singles flights, while in the doubles matches, the Chieftains were able to win six games.
1. Greg Andrews (GL) d. Chris Craft 6-0, 6-0; 2. Taylor Morrison (GL) d. Bo Parsons 6-2, 6-0; 3. Joe Walbridge (GL) d. Joey Gajewski 6-0, 6-0; 4. Max Wittenberg (GL) d. Amarpal Sarao 6-0, 6-1
1. Jason Schau/Alex Ames (GL) d. Mike McClenahan/Aaron Blaske 6-1, 6-2; 2. Lucas Hickman/Mitchell Hickman (GL) d. Jon Robinson/Dylan Chorba 6-0, 6-1; 3. Ryan Knapper/David Sutherland (GL) d. Spencer Dodd/Marc Tyrakowski 6-0, 6-1; 4. Russel Wall/Joe Keusch (GL) d. John Brosnan/Ben Thompson 6-1, 6-0
BUCHANAN – The Lakeland Conference showdown between visiting Berrien Springs and Buchanan turned out to be a surprisingly lopsided affair.
The Shamrocks, defending league champions, defeated the Bucks 7-1 in a match that a big closer than the final score would indicate.
The Bucks picked up their lone victory at No. 1 singles where Tyler Lindorf defeated Mark Westendorp 6-1 and 6-4.
The Shamrocks swept the doubles flights, but it wasn’t easy.
Buchanan forced three sets at No. 1, No. 2 and No. 4 doubles, while the No. 3 doubles match ended with the Shamrocks’ Alex Ro and Amir Benjellan defeating Corey Thompson and Alex Kuhn in a second set tiebreaker.
The loss was the first of the season for Buchanan, who dips to 9-1-1 overall. The Bucks are now 3-1 in the Lakeland.
Berrien Springs is 4-0 in league play.
1. Tyler Lindorf (BU) d. Mark Westendorp 6-1, 6-4; 2. Johathan Shembarger (BS) d. Nate Henckel 6-4, 6-2; 3. Matt Bacon (BS) d. Tanner Lindorf 6-1, 6-4; 4. William Choi (BS) d. Derek Blank 6-1, 6-3
1. Matt Little/Jared McCarver (BS) d. Ryan Henckel/Josh Whitfield 6-3, 5-7, 6-3; 2. Zach Shelton/Nate Pagel (BS) d. John Haslock/ Jake Welsh 2-6, 7-5, 6-4; 3. Alex Ro/Amir Benjellan (BS) d. Corey Thompson/Alex Kuhn 6-4, 7-6(5); 4. Michael Hong/Ben Brackett (BS) d. John Backus/Agape Mpamira 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
Berrien Springs 4-0 Lakeland; Buchanan 9-1-1, 3-1 Lakeland
EDWARDSBURG – The host Edwardsburg tennis team earned its first Lakeland Conference win of the season with a 6-2 victory over Brandywine Wednesday afternoon.
The Eddies swept the singles flights and then split the doubles matches to earn the win.
Winning in singles for Edwardsburg were Cody Pletcher, Cameron Breisch, Hunter Woods and Anthony Dopp. All the singles matches were decided in straight sets.
The Eddies won at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles as Lucas Devenney and Nick Mortimer, along with Dillion Kujawa and Mitch Patzer were victorious.
The Bobcats’ lone wins came at No. 1 doubles with Cody Udell and Tyler Weeks, as well as at No. 4 doubles with Dan Blank and Nick Wright.
All the doubles flights were also settled in straight sets.
1. Cody Pletcher (E) d. Jake Fiero 6-1, 6-1; 2. Cameron Breisch (E) d. Jeremy Zimmerman 6-2, 6-1; 3. Hunter Woods (E) d. Buck Bourdon 6-3, 6-0; 4. Anthony Dopp (E) d. Tyler Hartman 6-1, 6-1
1. Cody Udell/Tyler Weeks (B) d. Tanner Woods/Eric Stoneburner 7-6, 6-0; 2. Lucas Devenney/Nick Mortimer (E) d. Colton Ditto/Brad Millin 6-1, 6-3; 3. Dillion Kujawa/Mitch Patzer (E) d. Josh Boyer/Austin Searles 6-3, 6-2; 4. Dan Blank/Nick Wright (B) d. Ryan Langton/Nick Marbach 6-1, 7-6
Edwardsburg: 2-7-1, 1-2 Lakeland