Township board hires planning companyPublished 9:36am Wednesday, September 9, 2009
By JESSICA SIEFF
Niles Daily Star
Niles Township officials made the decision Tuesday night to approve the company of Williams and Works, out of Grand Rapids as the township’s planner going into the future.
The company, which provides planning, surveying and engineering services aids in road, bridge and storm water projects among others and has been used by area municipalities including Lake Charter Township and the City of Niles.
Township secretary Marge Durm-Hiatt said Wednesday morning, “we’re very excited to get them on board, very quickly here.”
The company, she added, would aid the township working with the zoning administrator and the planning commission with issues such as master plans, zoning issues and plans for future projects.
A review of the township’s master plan was also needed, she said.
The company describes itself on its website, www.williams-works.com as an “employee owned” company with “a staff of 50 engineers, planners, design technicians and surveyors.”
Also Tuesday night, the township board set a date of Sept. 14 for their budget workshop and announced that a bike safety rodeo would be held in Baroda as part of a “Day of Safety” to be held Oct. 11.
The Day of Safety is scheduled to include:
• Bike Rodeo for ages 6-15 and adults (pre-registration required)
• Bike registration by the Baroda Lake Police Dept.
• Water Safety information from the U.S. Coast Guard
• McGruff the Crime Dog
• Finger printing by Berrien County Sheriffs Dept.
• Drug Dog Demonstration
• Booster Seat Demonstration by Safe Kids Coalition Lakeland HealthCare
• Blood typing by the Michigan Community Blood Center
• Fire Truck from Baroda Twp
• Demonstrations via a Fire Safety House with the Bridgman City Fire Department
To get more information about the Day of Safety, visit www.swmpc.org/safetydaybaroda.asp.