Jo-Ann Boepple: That was the news in 1959Published 11:56am Thursday, August 20, 2009
But what was Edwardsburg like 50 years ago? This column will take a look back to 50 years ago through the Edwardsburg Argus’ of the 1959s. This will be a three part series with the first part addressing the local news, the second part the social events and the third part the businesses that were thriving in 1959.
This is the News That Was.
Dr. Charles Madden opened his dental practice in the Gavene Professional Building on M 62. Dr. Thomas Rea and Dr. H. O. Foley joined together in a new medical practice.
Mark Kaminsky, an Edwardsburg graduate with a BA degree from the University of Michigan who was a student in the Rackham School of Graduate Studies was chosen as a guide to escort Russians around the American National Exhibition in Moscow.
Village Council President Robert Bidwell, Trustees Glen Babcock, Dick Boepple, Robert Mette, and Dick Scovel approved the return of the Village Ambulance to the Lions Club. Charles Bode was elected the new President of the Lions Club with Cal Barnard 1st. Vice President, 2nd. Vice President, John Braniff, 3rd Vice President Don Worrell, Secretary, Paul Mayhew, Treasurer Fred Jackson, Tail Twister Harold Smith and Lion Tamer Herb Stiffler. Board Members at large were Joe Herreman, Fremont Jenkins, Dan McConnell, Allen Van Arsdol and George Stack.
An approval was given to Eugene Klinger for his application for a package liquor license for his drugstore. Approval was given for the transfer of the liquor license from Richard Newman to Loretta Turner for the Uptown Tavern. The Council also applied for permission to continue angle parking on US 112 (US 12) which had been in place since the road was improved in 1939.
The Edwardsburg Argus Social Editor/Bookkeeper Mrs. Roger Rinehart and Barbara Westfall folded the newspaper by hand for a circulation of 3,500 copies. In June of 1959 Lettie and George Andrus sold the Edwardsburg Argus and Don Foust became the editor. The printing was moved to Cassopolis and Don and his wife Sally who ran and set type on the Linotype machine enlarged the size and added two more columns going from six to eight.
Walt Cavern the stationmaster for the Grand Trunk Railroad was excited when he received a telegraph message from the White House with congratulations for the Andrus’ on their retirement signed by Dwight D. Eisenhower, President.
The Andrus Award for journalism was developed for a senior High School student.
Thirty-nine boy scouts attend the annual Order of the Arrow at Camp Madron. Senior patrol leaders were Steve Molnar, John Kerr, Tommy Kendall. District Trainer Fremont Jenkins, Sr., Lee Montgomery represented the Explorer Post 39 and assistance scoutmasters Vernon Smith and Cloyd Montgomery accompanied them.
Telephone service in the Union exchange was upgraded to the new system.
Every Sunday near the Milton Town Hall, races were held at the Go-Cart Speedway.
Otis Gardner, postmaster announced Letter Writing Week.
The School Board accepted bids for the coming year for milk at 5 cents a half pint, coal $12.95 a ton, gasoline 15 cents a gallon and fuel oil at 10 cents a gallon. Bids were accepted for the new High School and an addition at Eagle Lake for $1,495,000. The new High School will house 650 students.
Chick Crothers owner of the Culvers Resort became the head of the first Edwardsburg Area United Fund. The United Fund topped its goal of $4,000.
Harry Fetters sold the Bungalow Inn to Grace McCall who planned to rename it the Cupboard after the Cupboard across the street was closed.
Robert Walsh the Village Marshall resigns and Perry Stoops become a full time Village Officer.
The Memorial Day parade contained 21 units and honored Robert Montgomery.
Lynn Page was crowned the 1959 homecoming queen by Sandra Flanders the 1958 queen.
A new forced hot water and gas fired heating system was installed in the Presbyterian Church.
And that was the News of 1959!
Jo-Ann Boepple provides Reflections of the Past, a weekly feature from the Edwardsburg Museum Group and Historical Collection. She is a third generation Edwardsburg resident.